The Friends of Land Between the Lakes invite you to Kids’ Adventure Day on Saturday, July 17 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Woodlands Nature Station inside Land Between the Lakes, 3146 Silver Trail Road, Cadiz. Admission for this event is $7 for adults, $5 for ages 5-17; free for ages 4 and younger.
Visit the Woodlands Nature Station for a day of epic adventure. Take a trek through our backyard to view serpents, spiders, raptors, and a rodent of unusual size. Examine mysterious creatures of the deep. Search for fantastic critters; bigfoot and dragons and gnomes (oh my!)
Expand your visit and head to our trails. Enjoy a hike, check out the macroinvertebrates of hematite lake or go on a geocaching search for pirate treasure.
Cool Critter Day will return in 2022.
• 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. — Pond Critters: Stop by Hematite trailhead to examine some of the amazing mini-critters who live in the water.
• 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. — Ghosts and Goblins: Whooo’s there? Explore the myths and folklore surrounding our owls and discover which owl can be mistaken for a ghost.
• 1 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. — Wolves in Mythology: Do wolves howl at the moon? Why do so many fairy tales have a “Big, Bad Wolf” as the villain? We’ll take a look at some common ways that wolves have appeared in folklore and whether there is any truth behind these tales.
• 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. — Mystery Sounds: Was that a pterodactyl? Discover the amazing variety of sounds made by the creatures of Kentucky and discover who sounds like a dinosaur.
• 2:30 p.m. to 3:15 p.m. — Rodents of Unusual Size: Watch Clover the groundhog eat some treats and learn more about our very own R.O.U.S.
• 4 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. — Raptor Row: Meet our birds of prey up close and personal.
Ongoing activities from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. include:
• Serpents of LBL: Meet some of the snake species found in Land Between the Lake and learn more about them.
• Creatures of the Deep: What lurks below the water? Get an up-close look at our alligator snapping turtles, learn cool facts about lake animals, and discover a water critter of your own.
• Fantastic Critters Scavenger Hunt: Test your powers of observation and search the Nature Station backyard for fantastic critters.
• Geocaching Treasure Hunt: Bring your geocaching tool of choice and search for pirate treasure. Pick up coordinates at Nature Station.
• Trail Scavenger Hunt: Pick up a scavenger hunt at Nature Station and check out one of our many nearby trails. Stop back in for a prize when you complete your scavenger hunt.
Fourth grade students can go to https://everykidinapark.gov/, get their free Every Kid in a Park pass, and get their family in for free. For more information, call the Nature Station at 270-924-2299.
The Land Between The Lakes Association (Friends of Land Between the Lakes) is the nonprofit partner of the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area, USDA Forest Service. Its mission is to work with public and private stakeholders to educate, improve, promote, conserve and provide stewardship for the Land Between the Lakes (LBL) National Recreation Area. More information is available at www.friendsoflbl.org. It is supported through business and personal memberships, gift shop sales and other contributions.