Former Kuttawa clerk, husband plead guilty

K. Harrison

Kuttawa's former city clerk and her husband reached a plea agreement last week during closed-door criminal mediation in a case involving the theft last year of more than $12,000 in city funds.

Katie Harrison could face up to nine years in jail, according to a report from WPSD Local 6, after agreeing to plead guilty to 40 various counts.

Her husband, Clayton Harrison, may face as long as three years behind bars for related charges to which he agreed to plead guilty. The couple has also agreed to pay back $17,000 to the city.

"This was a good case for mediation, because there was co-defendants," Commonwealth's Attorney Carrie Ovey-Wiggins, the prosecutor in this case, explained to WPSD. "Sometimes it's hard to get both co-defendants together with their attorneys on the same page to try and resolve the cases."

Katie Harrison agreed on Friday to plead guilty to 24 counts of second-degree forgery, one count of tampering with physical evidence, one count of abuse of public trust, two counts of theft of more than $10,000, one count of theft by failure to make required disposition of property and 11 counts of tampering with public records. She faces sentences ranging 5-9 years for the counts, all of which are to run concurrently.

Meantime, Clayton Harrison pled guilty to 10 counts of second-degree possession of a forged instrument, one count of theft of more than $10,000, one count of theft by failure to make required disposition of property and one count of theft of more than $500.

He faces three years for the first 12 counts and one year for the 13th count, also to be served concurrently.

A judge will rule on the plea agreement during sentencing on Jan. 6.

The Harrisons were arrested just more than a year ago after missing city funds were discovered in July 2018.

But it wasn't until November of last year that authorities were able to locate the pair, who had fled to Sevierville, Tennessee. Clayton Harrison was arrested during a traffic stop. Katie Harrison turned herself in days after her husband's arrest. They were extradited to Lyon County soon after.